It's 2007!

Welcome to 2007!

Do you have any expectations for this year?
For my websites and books, I am expecting growth. I've put a lot of effort, and still am, in developing the Math Mammoth books.

But alongside those, I keep building the sites as well.

Yesterday I wrote an article explaining the square root concept for my MamutMatematicas.com site (in Spanish). It took quite some time... I hope it turned out okay.

My goal was to just write real clear and easy explanation of the square root. If you happen to know Spanish, go check it out and let me know how it reads :
¿Que es la raíz cuadrada y cómo se la calcula?

I've noticed that in Spanish, there is NOT the same wealth of mathematical information as you can find in English. We're just about flooding in English math related websites, I sometimes feel. But not in Spanish ones.

Here's some more... (of those English math websites):

The Evolution of Real Numbers
An excellent tutorial on the difference of rational and irrational numbers and how the thinking on those has "evolved" in history; covers topics such as ratio of natural numbers, continuous versus discrete, unit fractions, measurement, common measure, squares and their sides etc.

Math-Kitecture.com
Architecture and math resources. Students learn estimation, measuring skills, proportion, and ratios by hand-drafting a floor plan of their classroom to scale.

A math GAME for 2007 - Write expressions for each of the counting numbers 1 through 100, using the digits in the year 2007, standard operations, and grouping symbols. This puzzle is good for students in grades 3-12 with a general knowledge of mathematics.

Oh, yes and one more thing. If you followed the "tag along with me" conversation, I asked people to guess where I was from... not many guessed, but anyway the right answer is Finland. Here's the uni I went to.

Comments

Anonymous said…
By the way, there's this other new website on plotting at http://fooplot.com/ which may be of help to people learning about functions. It's easy to use, you can just type in http://fooplot.com/x^2+2x+1 for example.

Popular posts from this blog

Conversion chart for measuring units

Geometric art project: seven-circle flower design

Meaning of factors in multiplication: four groups of 2, or 4 taken two times?