Kenken game for summer fun

As most of you are taking a break from math or school work, here's a little (addictive) math game to play online or as printed version: Kenken.

In it, you have to place the numbers in the grid kind of like in Sudoku so that no number appears twice in the same row or column, BUT there's an additional twist: it gives you "cages", and the numbers within a particular cage have to work to a given answer with a given math operation (either addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division).

KenKen practices logical thinking and is, I think, more fun than Sudoku.

It's easier to understand if you go see and try it yourself. The smaller sizes, such as 4x4 game, are great for kids, and the larger ones are good for us adults or older students.
  • Kenken.com has nice Kenken puzzles online plus instructions, but only one for each size.
  • MathDoku.com has an unlimited number of Kenken puzzles to play online in three sizes and several difficulty levels.

Comments

Mr.C said…
Cool game for kids :-) Thanks for the links.
Brian said…
Congratulations on introducing your readers to KenKen. That is a great move. KenKen is about the best brain-training you can get on the fly, and it's so much fun that it is truly addictive.

There aren't many ways to learn it beyond the simplest level, so I've put some free vids up at http://mathmojo.com/kenken

That should help you people beyond the beginner stage.

Go figure!

Brian (a.k.a. Professor Homunculus at MathMojo.com )
I Love Math! said…
Hi! I am Junald Pascua. I also run a Math blog at http://mathlovers.tk/ . I have been through your articles and it drives my interest to read more from you. So, I will be adding your link in mine. Hope you can visit my blog and we can be friends. By the way, I am a teacher too from Philippines.
Anonymous said…
This notice is very interesting. I have played "sudoku". The truth, I like this blog and I would like to know how you work and how work ms. Miller.
I study math, I want because mathematic's teacher.
Thanks you very much!
My name is Francisco
E-Mail: fco_jvr_inma7@hotmail.com
Anonymous said…
Hi,
I am Francisco, from Chile. The notice I like me. I have played SUDOKU and this player is very interesting.
I study Mathematics, because I want to become the best mathematic's teacher.
Bye, thanks you very much!
Fran said…
I wondered how kenken works! Thank you for posting that explanation. I used to find cross sum puzzles for my middle school math students, and later for home school students I worked with. They are excellent for utilizing problem solving in a puzzle format.
You have a very nice educational game.Instead of spending most of their time playing online game and for sure grade schooler can relate this one.
Anonymous said…
You should check this math game:

http://myframeshoppe.ca/math/

I think it's cool.

Popular posts from this blog

Conversion chart for measuring units

Geometric art project: seven-circle flower design

Meaning of factors in multiplication: four groups of 2, or 4 taken two times?